HotAir has excellent analysis on why the Democratic coalition on this bill is falling apart. Waxman-Markey bill mutiny
This shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone. The hidden tax on EVERYTHING that would take place due to cap and trade is becoming evident, even to Democrats, and not a second too soon. I predicted early on that this would be dead on arrival because it would destroy many small businesses and even larger ones.
In Europe, where they have much ballyhooed cap and trade, if you do some digging, you find that cap and trade is actually very weak, and has turned into a bureaucratic mess.
I also ask you to ponder this… The basic idea behind global warming and climate change is that temperatures have been rising. Well, the question becomes how one would measure the temperatures. I’ll post a longer set of ideas on this over the upcoming weekend, but here’s the backstory…
- The so-called “hockey stick curve” in global temperatures is badly flawed. Read this article to find out why
- The debate over climate change takes no account of the fact that sunspots have been decreasing. When sunspots decrease, usually the result is lower temperatures here on the Earth. In extreme cases, such as during the Mauder Minimum, a mini Ice Age results. We’ve had cooler than normal summers for the last few years and longer than normal winters in the northern US. That’s not consistent with global warming theory. Here is an article: Harvard astrophysicist comments on sunspots and temperatures
- Even if we accept the “panic and do something” ideas of the liberals, the economic impacts of cap and trade are quite dire. Google “Cap and Trade economic impacts”, or check out this paper: Analysis of Cap and Trade Impact
So, if you put it all together, it is quite right to ask
- Are the liberals and environmentalists out to pass this because they know it has adverse consequences for the economy? By putting a huge brick on top of the capital markets and extra hidden taxes into play, they exert more control over what each of us can do in our ordinary lives.
- The bill would allow goverment to regulate anything that has to do with greenhouse gas emissions. That means what car you drive, how much electricity you can consume, whether you can fly to your business trip cheaply, and the list goes on and on.
- Do the liberals also realize the hidden costs this will impose on everyone? Any product/good/service you buy will go up in price. We already pay a lot of our income to the government, so why are we being asked to pay more to businesses when that extra cost does not go into the businessman’s pocket to create jobs or growth in that business?
I leave you with this thought… The liberals have studied for years how to get changes done by “stealth”. Cry, scream and put the fear of Armageddon into you. Then, write a bill that is not very well structured and vague on a lot of details. Pass it and use the vague language as a means to enforce whatever they want.
The Constitution is a document that is “negative rights” focused. Meaning if the right or enforcement power is not explicitly stated, it is not granted to the government. Maybe it is time we insist our laws be written and enforced the same way.